August 23, 2010

Keeping Backups

Today I wrote a small app that simply copies files from on folder location to another folder location.
It's purpose is to backup my game project to the "cloud". I use dropbox as my hard drive in the cloud. For those of you unfamiliar with dropbox:
Sync your files online and across computers with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free!
Note Dropbox keeps snapshots of every saved change in your Dropbox folder over the last 30 days, so it's a great place to keep you projects source files, as you can revert to previous files with ease if needs be. It's a great alternative if you don't have access to SVN or similar source safe tool.

Features:
- option to exclude BIN folders
- option to exclude OBJ folders
- only copies files if they are new or have changed
- auto backup every 3 hours
- synchronizes delete option (so if you delete a file or folder in the source folder, it immediately deletes in the destination folder. Again this is handy for Dropbox as you don't want old files that aren't used taking up space. Note with Dropbox you can also view & undo deleted files)



Install the app from here (its freeware, so use at your own risk)

Let me know what you think, I'll probably be doing a few updates as I use it more.

2 comments :

  1. of course you could create a local svn repository on your drop box and then use that so you get the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you could, but I'm aiming for simplicity.

    ReplyDelete